The only time I've really had this problem was in initialization code
before the http server started accepting requests, as that's pretty
much the only place you can get away with synchronous I/O in a web
server app. I wanted to compile LESS CSS as part of the process, and
its compilation method is asynchronous (due to how it handles
includes). It was quite a pain, and made more difficult by the fact
that it can be hard to figure out what code is affected by a change
like that in javascript.

The code that handles requests is so tainted with I/O calls that most
of it's in async form already, so I think this is less of a concern
for apps that are already I/O intensive.

But after getting burned a couple times you'll probably start off
writing sync code in async style. And maybe you'll even use fibers to
not have to pay the callback penalty, or maybe you're in a situation
where you don't need to worry about lots of callbacks.

Chris