All my experience has been with static compiled modules. That's what I'm
doing with node-ffi. If libfreeling offers precompiled static versions of
the library for you to use, I would suggest going that route. Another such
option is bundling libfreeling in your repo and compiling it during your
module's build (by converting it to gyp; this is sometimes easy, sometimes
hard/impossible).