what are the units on the time axis?

this should only happen if you are doing too much sync processing.

does it still happen if you run bench your app with ab?
if so, remove parts of your app until the problem stops.

also, garbage collection: I've done some experiments creating objects until
node crashes, and I noticed pauses as the heap grew large.

how large are the requests to the backends? if they are very large and you
are buffering them all into memory, maybe that could be a clue?

these are just ideas that come to mind. I don't really know.

this also looks like a lead https://github.com/dannycoates/v8-profiler