On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Ryan <r...@rycole.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm learning how to write C++ modules, for Node.js. I'm sort of
> brute-forcing my learning by looking at examples, referencing the
> documentation for v8 and trial and error. The only two modules that I can
> seem to think of, as a reference, are hiredis-node and node.bcrypt.js. Both
> have helped me get to where I am now, which is able to compile a base
> skeleton module, using node-gyp. Are there any other modules that are
> written in C++ that would be simple + good to reference?
>
> For example, I'm currently trying to write a module that simply wraps and
> exposes a class from an existing third-party lib, HDF5. I've got it all
> written to the point where I think I am supposed to initialize an object of
> that class I want to expose, but when I include the code to initialize it, I
> cannot `require` it from within Node. It will compile, but I cannot require
> it. I do not think it is actually compiling properly. The HDF5 lib comes
> with a special wrapper binary around g++ that sets up the compile
> environment for you, so I guess I need to figure out how to tell node-gyp to
> use that.
>
> My code is here, if anyone wants to take a
> peek: https://github.com/ryancole/node-hdf5

Hi Ryan,
I gave a talk at a local conference about writing bindings:
Slides:
http://www.slideshare.net/nsm.nikhil/writing-native-bindings-to-nodejs-in-c
Code: https://github.com/nikhilm/jsfoo-pune-2012

In addition you can check out node-taglib
(https://github.com/nikhilm/node-taglib) which links to an external
library.
Unfortunately all of these still use node-waf and not gyp.

For gyp, looking at the gyp files for node which has bindings for
crypto and zlib might be a good idea.

Best,
Nikhil