Hi,

As a novice on node, I thought it would be interesting to share my first
experience with other novice noders J

This website - http://www.hezenhotel.com was previously built using a PHP
Joomla framework. I never could feel ok with the way php Joomla was
structured, so when I discovered node, I thought I would give a trial. So I
took the website css and images and refactored it under expressjs.

One may think of why using node for such an easy static website - but I
think it's worthed and also node seems to me easier to learn than any other
PHP framework.

My brief conclusions:
1. It took me 2-3 days to build it (I think it's even too much considering
the few number of lines & codes)
2. The code is very clean, templates are easy to read and modify. Total
number of files are very neat and well structured - so I think when I want
to change things in one year time, it wouldn't be difficult to remember
what I did.
3. As this is a static website, I didn't use any database - just inserted
my content in the templates
4. Playing with Javascript was fun and I think I am more of an
asynchronous/javascript person J.
5. Used nodemailer for emailing (with Gmail SMTP) to email
visitors requests (either reservation or contact requests).
6. Liked very much the modular approach and adding/install through npm.
7. Deployment and managing dependencies was very smooth using the
package.json file
8. I needed to use gzip compression and used Gzippo for it.
9. The community is very vibrant and I got answers very quickly when needed.
10. Documentation is very clean.
11. It seems the website is much faster than Joomla version - but I didn't
run any statistical test on it.

This was a first trial of moving a website to node - but now that I am more
confident I will try to move some e-commerce applications of mine that were
also built on php.

What may be missing (or that I didn't discover yet) is
1. Examples of e-commerce applications/framework like prestashop
2. Examples or frameworks for CMS/blog - even though I think it should be
quite easy to build a blog using expressjs
3. More hosting solutions that have node in their core. There are zillions
of php hosting provider but

When I get some time, I will prepare a github repository and move the code
there - to share with others.

So - a big THANK YOU - to the node community, and if you by any chance come
to Turkey, please let me know - so we can have a drink and chat over.
Also, if you are from the node community - be assured that you will get a
great discount if you decide to stay at Hezen Cave Hotel, in Cappadocia,
Turkey ( http://www.hezenhotel ) :))

Cheers,
Hakan Guzelgoz