Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions.  I appreciate the input
from everyone.  I can also appreciate the suggestions on why not to use a
library.  Personally, I have no problem using a library if it saves time
and makes the code quicker and easier to write -- that's a personal
preference, of course.  People build abstractions on top of software all
the time for myriad reasons.  If that abstraction is simple and allows me
to reach my end goal quicker, then I have no problem with that.

There are a billion examples of abstractions that allow people to work
faster.  assembly -> C, jdbc -> hibernate, DOM -> jquery, javascript ->
coffeescript  -- each case has its own characteristics and has pros/cons,
and has its own learning curve.  I guess to each his own -- there must be
something in general the async library is doing right, though, considering
how widely adopted it seems, and the number of forks/watchers.