On 6/1/12 8:41 AM, Gabriel Farrell wrote:
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Tim Caswell<t...@creationix.com>  wrote:
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Oliver Leics<oliver.le...@gmail.com>
wrote:
is dustjs[1] really the only template engine that implements rt
streamed render output and supports asynchronous calls within
template-functions?

I will say I'm glad you're looking for this.  I've been making this kind of
template language for years (Grain, Corn, Kernel, etc) and it's never seemed
to catch on.  People say it's neat and I should port it to the browser and
yeah, it's neat (yes I repeated that).  But then the next day it's like the
project never existed.

I don't know if the idea is too foreign for people or if there is no real
need for it.  I used it for a real project and I like it.  It feels like the
good parts to PHP without all the ugly..

I think non-streaming templating is still the norm because most
templates aren't large enough to be a concern in terms of memory or
computation time. If a lot of processing happens during rendering then
one can hit some bugs that are really hard to track down. Often it's
better to handle things in the JS before passing variables to the
template.

A big issue is that if there is an error in your template, there's no way to report it if you've already started streaming 200 OK.

--
Alan Gutierrez - @bigeasy