Interesting. I have few to have an answer... but I could add only some
comments, related to my pet projects, work.

I think that in Node.js world, we should separate:

- local actor implementation
- remote communication

The second point could be resolved with RPC or something alike. Candidate:
dnode. But we should manage disconecction, new node instances, etc...

I tried the first point in my pet project:
https://github.com/ajlopez/SimpleActors
There is a local actors web crawler example. Now, there is a remote
example, that could be implemented with dnode, but I am playing with
another of my projects for remote object ("dog fooding" ;-)

But, we could have message passing, without having an actor an explicit
reference to another actor. I think that is the way of Storm
http://storm-project.net/
in Java World. A simple implementation with local web crawler example:
https://github.com/ajlopez/SimpleStorm with one spout and many kind of
bolts.
I should add the "distributed" ingredient to such topology. A two? three?
pipe problem? (no pun intended) ;*)

But another way, without an explicit topology, only messages, and node
instances that communicates what kind of messages they can process:
https://github.com/ajlopez/AjFabriqNode
I guess this way has more resilience to the add/remove of running node
instances.

Interesting topic Paul!

Angel "Java" Lopez
http://ajlopez.wordpress.com