When using the detached option to start a long-running process, the process
will not stay running in the background unless it is provided with a stdio
configuration
that is not connected to the parent. If the parent's stdio is inherited,
the child will remain attached to the controlling terminal.

The process will exit if no other callbacks are due. This is one way to do
it.