I have not written any C addons, but I do know that EventEmitter has
been removed from the C side of node.

a tight wrapper based on callbacks, and then wrap that with a Stream
api on the js side is indeed how node does it.

reading through github.com/joyent/node/blob/master/lib/fs.js should be helpful.

there is quite a bit to writing a Stream that works well.

I am developing a Stream spec here https://gist.github.com/2850882

I'm just building it from studying stream.js, reading code in node.js
core streams.

cheers, Dominic