We use the engines field for application deployment to nodejitsu,
since we need to know what version of node the user prefers their
application to run on. That said, this is for applications and not for
libraries, and I'm not sure it makes much sense for libraries
excepting for special cases where a deprecated version of a library is
known to only work with certain versions (in which case you set the
versions deliberately), which should be much less common now that the
0.4/0.6 jump is complete.

I suppose an engines field could also be useful for binary package
builds, maybe. Not sure.

--Josh

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:06 PM, Isaac Schlueter <i...@izs.me> wrote:
> Do people actually rely on the "engines" hash being respected in npm
> installs any more?  It was super essential in the early days when the
> API was changing constantly, but now, it seems like it just makes it
> unnecessarily difficult to upgrade stuff.
>
> If no one is relying on this right now, I'm going to reduce it to a
> warning.  If in time, people start complaining that the warning is to
> warny, we can remove it, and just let "engines" be a thing of the
> past.  (Note that `npm init` already doesn't bother with it, and for a
> while has just defaulted to {"node":"*"}.)
>
> Please let me know what you think.  Thanks :)

Joshua Holbrook
Engineer
Nodejitsu Inc.
j...@nodejitsu.com