there is need for base classed with more of the holes filled in than
require('stream').Stream to make it easier to create streams.

it looks like this is what stream-stack is trying to achive,
but to be honest, I can't quite see how it is best used.

but maybe that is just because my approach is different.

I've had a lot of luck with this function:
https://github.com/dominictarr/event-stream#through-write-end

it just creates a stream that by default, calls this.emit('data', data)
on write, but you can pass in a custom write and end functions.

it takes care of a lot of stuff that Stream doesn't do, like handle
pause(), resume(), emits close after end() is called, and 'end' is
emitted.

it takes care of lots of little niggly stuff that needs to be done to
work right, but can be tricky to debug.

actually, that is the hardest thing about streams, testing them.
I'm experimenting along those lines with this:
https://github.com/dominictarr/event-stream#through-write-end

it's a declarative assertion lib, for making assertions about the
order of events/function invocations. the idea is to make it easy to
have a reusable thing that checks a stream never emits 'data' after
'end' or always eventually emits 'close', stuff like that.