On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 5:58 AM, rhasson <rhas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ben,
>
> I tried compiling 0.8.1 today and I was only able to successfuly compile a
> Debug build.  I tried a Release build using --without-snapshot and changing
> the bit in the v8/common.gypi as suggested previously and both times I get
> "segmentation fault" when I run node.
>
> I prefer not to run a debug build on my production system.  Any ideas why
> this is happening?

The most likely culprit is a bug in gcc's optimizer that affects (at
least) 4.5. People have also reported problems with gcc 4.4 but I've
never been able to reproduce that myself.

Check your common.gypi - v8_no_strict_aliasing should be true while
strict_aliasing should be false (I've renamed the second one in the
master branch to node_no_strict_aliasing for the sake of consistency.)

If all else fails, upgrade to gcc 4.6 or 4.7 or compile with clang.