the --trace-gc-verbose parameter didn't print anything (at least not in the
minute i waited) and until i reach the 50 MB (monitoring
using --trace-gc) at least some hours have to pass by. I will try it later.

here's a pic of running the same code once with node v0.6.17 (chris lea's
packet) and node v.0.8.1 (my own compiled version).

http://troll.ws/i/nJQJFr.png

before I updated to the new node version i was fighting against some memory
leaks in my code, but was able to fix them. when i switched to v.0.8.1 I
was worried that they seemed to be back (when i saw the graph). besides the
"red line" that goes crazy, i guess the rest can be explained by the new
more lazy garbage collection approach.

btw, the app is almost idle. the different modules shown in the graph just
communicate from time to time with each other and only exchange tiny bits
of data.