I've also built a number of projects out on the MS stack.  They do offer
the Website Spark program http://www.microsoft.com/web/websitespark/ which
surprisingly few people know about -- but it is a way to get basically all
their tools for free (MS SQL Server, Windows Server 2008, VS, Expression).
 Therein lies the rub.  If your site becomes popular and you want to scale
it up, you've painted yourself into a corner.  You'll need to increase the
hardware -- probably first just by beefing up the hardware on a single
node, and later by deploying on more servers.  Website spark is awesome for
a small project, but when you need to increase the number of valid licenses
for the #cpus and or physical nodes, you enter pay-to-play land, and since
you've built out your whole stack already, you rarely have any other choice
but to pull out the credit card.

I've found node.js to be more effective at getting things done.  Less
context switching between tools and languages -- less SLOC of code to get
the same thing done -- less complexity means shorter learning curve --
super vibrant community.  These are all in the big plus category for me.