Node+Express and RoR aren't really surrogates. If your stance is "I'll use
RoR unless you confirm that Node is production-ready", then it may be a
better use of resources to build an RoR app that calls out to Node services
when it makes sense. In your moment of indecision though, don't forget to
optimize for time-to-launch.