In JavaScript you most of the time don't really have a choice whether to
make something async or sync. When there are only synchronous operations in
a function there is no purpose in using callbacks. However when you use
async operations like I/O you have to use callbacks. The things is that
callbacks are only relevant for functions that give the main thread free to
other operations and wait for something external to happen.