Don't forget to specify an agent of explicitly set agent = false. If you
don't the global agent will be used and your certificate will be ignored.
There's a note about that behavior in
http://nodejs.org/api/https.html#https_https_request_options_callback but I
recently overlooked that and it took me a while to figure out what was
going wrong.