Hello,

I'm desperately trying to profile my application, like I used to do with
other languages where I could output some file I could pass to kcachegrind
which would show me when and where the runtime executed my code.

I'm running Ubuntu or Debian VM, whatever I've tried several methods:

   - Using dtrace on SmartOS: OK I can run dtrace, but I'm absolutely lost
   on SmartOS and I need many bricks like Redis and MongoDB I'm not sure how
   to install properly (I've compiled everything, which was a pita). Plus I'm
   not a sysadmin, which makes me waste ages each time I need to configure
   anything. Not forgetting the most recent provided zone (node-1.3.3)
   includes node v0.6.8. Dafuq ?
   - Using node --prof seemed very promising: simple, everything is
   embedded, cool :) I can generate a v8.log, OK. But then when I run
   "deps/v8/tools/linux-tick-processor" on it, I get no output, just an exit
   code 126. No idea what it means, I couldn't find information about this :(
   - Using valgrind I can output a callgrind file I can then use with
   kcachegrind. It's cool and I get real values, I can practically see the
   call chain, but I can't see my real function names. Instead I get some
   hexadecimal names, v8:: and node:: internals. That makes it quite useless
   for me :(
   - nodetime is great, but I'd really like a tool that doesn't rely on
   external service. Even if I finally stick with this solution, I need to
   have an alternative.

Does someone know where error 126 comes from in linux-tick-processor ?

Does what I'm looking for only exist: a profiler that would output stack
and durations with the actual function names ? And easy to use on Linux x]

Thanks a lot for all the information you can provide! I really want to get
through that this time ;)