Depends on what you consider to be problematic with process.* ,

process.cwd() in particular bit me while trying a couple things, but could
be worked around, a slightly more annoying error dealt with cluster using
env variables, once again possible to work around.

As stated, I really like the approach taken by threads a gogo. I am not
against threading, just very cautious.