I guess that's what I'm advocating against: Using some scheme without any
documentation of it makes your program unpredictable. And not just runtime
unpredictable (at least we can always refer to the ultimate documentation,
the source code), but we don't know how well it will upgrade in the future.
That's arguably even worse. There's no excuse for having to guess which
version number means what, especially when it, in all other respects,
appears to conform to an existing, already used standard.