On 9/20/12 2:30 PM, Scott González wrote:
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Austin William Wright
<diamondma...@users.sourceforge.net
<mailto:diamondma...@users.sourceforge.net>> wrote:

    The problem comes in when I or other developers want to /use/ those
    libraries, and keep them up-to-date. You can't use features like "~1".

You know when you're using a module that's in a 0.x release cycle, so
just use ~0.y.z and you'll be fine.

While I'm developing a library, I use 0.0.x as pre-release, where API breaking updates occur at every revision. From Timezone:

"On the 0.0.x branch, API changes may break applications. Please use an absolute version number in your package.json to hold onto a version Timezone that works for you. When 0.0.x development is done, I'll create an 0.2.0 branch for application use and a 0.1.0 for any further development. The 0.2.0 branch will be an API freeze."

https://github.com/bigeasy/timezone/issues/41

So, like Scott says, but with no tilde. Each upgrade requires your attention.

Thus, I'm not following the semvar document, but I'm adhering to the notion that semvar helps you manage API instabilities, documenting my reasoning.

0.0.x is pre-release for the intrepid.

--
Alan Gutierrez - http://github.com/bigeasy - http://twitter.com/bigeasy