Please forgive me if this has been asked a BILLION times already. I'm new
to node.js and as exciting as it seems, i have been stuck trying to wrap my
head around a problem.

Here it goes: I've been trying to get a notification system going and I've
looked up several examples already that use node.js and websockets. The
issue with these examples is that they all send the notification to all
clients(browsers). I was looking forward to seeing an example source code
that handles notifications pushed to clients based on activities that
concerns only them. For example, if on my site someone comments on a
picture I want to be able to send the notification to me and no one else.

I hope I explained that clearly enough.

PS: I hope to be sending these notifications to mobile apps using phonegap,
if that helps.