since i've seen it brought up twice, iirc mongo has an option to save
direct to disk to allow for power failure and such. however, since there
are hadoop, mongo, couch, redis, and dozens of lucene based solutions,
maybe a payment system should be more db agnostic unless you want to
alienate people?

i'd think you'd want to a pluggable tool chain type solution. so you say
you need some basic schema information, an express type middleware
processing solution (process tax, process s/h, inventory logic, warehouse
scheduling, reciept, update user profile) and a (err, cb) for each step.

if you mandate i use couch, mysql, pg, ora, or anything else, i won't use
it. i won't bother learning it because even if you like the same db as me,
maybe next week i'll talk with someone that says "i've got x db" - if you
didn't program for x db (or i don't like x db), i'm going to refuse $$....
i don't think so.