I'm building a node.js project that will grow to a large authentication
data group (hopefully), and I'd like to make the right decision now.

My options are:
 -- PostgreSQL sharding, like Instagram does
 -- MongoDB
 -- Something more creative

I'll likely use some kind of VM solution like Amazon's EC2 or Rackspace
instances for app servers, some kind of scaling mechanism that behaves
similarly to HA Proxy (if not just HA Proxy), and I'd like to use some
method of scaling dB servers to more easily grow to meet capacity needs.

To add some context, we'll also need to store data like user generated
content. I'm just looking for experience based opinions on which route
makes the most sense.

Basically, imagine you're building Instagram today from scratch. What tech
would you use to handle storage?