When I was learning I looked at both of those, so whatever helps you
understand the concepts (each author is different).

Of the two, Hands-on Node.js goes into more topics with 147 pages and I had
found to be easy to read and understand. Of the ebooks I had read, I liked
Hands-on Node.js the best.

 - Hands-on Node.js - 147 pages -
http://nodetuts.com/handson-nodejs-book.html
 - Node Beginner book - 63 pages - http://www.nodebeginner.org/

And like Silviu mentioned, some things evolved in the node.js API and
installation, but the concepts are all still relevant, and if something
doesn't work, just check the node docs for the specific details on an API.

A couple other resources I have come across:

 - http://book.mixu.net/ - 81 pages
 - http://nodeguide.com/beginner.html - Felix Geisendörfer's beginner intro
 - http://visionmedia.github.com/masteringnode/ - 21 pages, many sections
not completed yet
 - http://devashish.co.in/tag/nodejs/ - various tutorials
 - http://justjs.com/ - tutorials

PS. Smashing Node.js looks like it covers a nice set of topics from the TOC
and preview pages on Amazon -
http://www.amazon.com/Smashing-Node-js-JavaScript-Everywhere-Magazine/dp/1119962595/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

After you try some of these resources out, you should post your thoughts
back here to this thread for others to benefit from. It would be nice to
have some recent comments from a beginner on what areas were difficult to
understand, which books seemed to explain it the best, etc.

All the best,

Jeff