Either by running the mac installer or building from source, I cannot
get npm to work on os x mountain lion. When building from source I get the
following error:

symlinking ../lib/node_modules/npm/bin/npm-cli.js -> /usr/local/bin/npm
updating shebang of /usr/local/bin/npm to /usr/local/bin/node
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tools/install.py", line 225, in <module>
    run(sys.argv[:])
  File "tools/install.py", line 220, in run
    if cmd == 'install': return files(install)
  File "tools/install.py", line 203, in files
    if 'true' == variables.get('node_install_npm'): npm_files(action)
  File "tools/install.py", line 166, in npm_files
    update_shebang(link_path, shebang)
  File "tools/install.py", line 133, in update_shebang
    s = open(path, 'r').read()
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/local/bin/npm'

Here's what npm looks like in /usr/local/bin:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  38 Oct  2 16:15 npm ->
../lib/node_modules/npm/bin/npm-cli.js

  When using the automated installer, everything goes smoothly. When typing
'npm' to the command line I get a command not found error. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

-JD