greelkorke ment using a job queue where jobs are put, and handed to workers.

If you want to do it only with mongo, you'll need to use some "lock"
document, that is set and unset by the first process which tries to
initiate a task. All other processes which try to grab the lock while its
held by another process should assume that the job is being worked by
another process. But thats really ugly & has problems because jobs cant be
acknowledged, so if a process crashes while its performing some task,
you're fucked.