Tom, it is do-able (albeit undocumented) to hook into *which* stream
the Node "http" module uses. See my node-icecast Client class[0] for
an example. You should be able to return one of your "udt" streams in
the createConnection function and then the core "http" module would
use that.

This way you can do it in just JS and keep it an external module.