In case this helps anyone out:

I have seen pauses of up to 22 seconds in a production application with 2GB
heap data on Node v0.7 and above.

I ran trace-gc and the pauses are almost all GC. The offending line is
"last resort gc".

It may be here in the V8
source:
http://code.google.com/p/v8/source/browse/trunk/src/heap-inl.h?spec=svn12566&r=12566#547

Idle notifications are disabled and none of the other GC flags make any
difference.

I tried switching back to Node v0.6 which has an older release of V8
bundled with it and the excessive GC pauses went away.

The problem with v0.6 is that the V8 bundled with it cannot have
max-old-space-size greater than 1900MB AFAIK.