One thing you may be missing is that requiring a module multiple times does
not load multiple version of it. Modules are cached after the first time
they are required, so you get the same reference every time. So one answer
to your question is that people re-use modules by requiring them in
multiple contexts. You might require('helper') in multiple views or
controllers and it's not a problem. You might also check out
geddyjs http://geddyjs.org/, which takes a rails-like approach in providing
conventions of where to place your code.

As for sharing modules between client and server, I agree there isn't a
shared convention for this yet. I personally haven't found compelling
reasons to share a bunch of code between environments yet.

:Marco