Here is the none working format, this is in a function that should return
results when db is finished.

var results = [];
dependencies.forEach(function(dependency) {
  db.collection('parts_relations').find(query).toArray(function(err,
relations) {
    relations.forEach(function(relation) {
      results.push(relation);
    });
  });
});

I have tried two things without success:
(this returns before finishing)
var results = [];
var counter = 0;
dependencies.forEach(function(dependency) {
  counter++;
  db.collection('parts_relations').find(query).toArray(function(err,
relations) {
    relations.forEach(function(relation) {
      results.push(relation);
    });
    if (counter >= dependencies.length) {
      return results;
    }
  });
});

I also tried wrapping db.collection in a function and passing it to
async.parallel without luck. Any suggestions?