Excellent guidance from everyone. I wanted to add...

Just run node as a child process of your JVM application. The node executable is small and easy to redistribute. Node now runs in as many places as the JVM. I find that the promise of write once, run everywhere is easier to realize with Node.js than with Java.

--
Alan Gutierrez - @bigeasy