Hi people!

Ummmm.. do you need somevalue of session? or only the name of the user, to
be used at the chat activitiy?

In any case, I would implement:

- Java (web server, I guess) sends a token to browser. In this context,
token is a random key (a GUID, maybe). Java web server keeps a weak
dictionary (or something more elaborated, with time expiration) that
associate key with the data you want to keep track.

- Web browser send the token to node, in a Socket.IO message

- Node save the token in the client socket object, if you need it more than
one time

- Node call a simplre REST service at Java web server, sending the
receiving context. If you need more that one data piece, maybe you can send
an additional parameter like "email", or "firstName", specifying what you
want to get.

- Java web server query the weak dictionary using the token as key,
retrieving the required data, and sending it in the response

- You can add security measures to keep the REST service only accesible
from your Nodejs machine

- A weak dictionary prevents Java application to hold for ever the data

Another approach:

- Java server sends the token to the web browser
- Java server call a REST service AT NODE JS server, sending the token, and
the data you will be use at chat flow (that is, in the case the data you
need is known in advance, and you don't need to send data from Node.js to
Java)
- Node.js save the info in a dictionary (a simple javascrip object)
- Web browser send the token to node.js/socket.io during chat activity
- Node.js retrieved the rest of the data using the dictionary
- You must provide something to prune the dictionary (every token/key could
have a "limit life" of 10 minutes, or delete the key if it is not used
after X minutes)

Using the token, no sensible information is send to the browser. Having a
random token, prevents cheating from a client.

You could use session.getId() as the key

Instead of calling node.js from java server using a REST service (or
something alike) you could try an RPC, like dnode
https://github.com/substack/dnode

Angel "Java" Lopez
@ajlopez
gh:ajlopez