Hi there

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been working on a module for the last
couple of weeks as a bit of a training exercise. I´ve been digging in to node
for the last 6 months and I´m trying to make all my modules streaming. The
latest exercise is a reverse image proxy for mapping tiles (Openlayers) with
caching that actually would have some application in frontend JS that I´ve
written.

I want to store ancillary data externally and then attach it to the stream when
piping (akin to how Request and Filed attach relevant header info) and I
obviously want to do this asynchronously. My initial thought was to override
the pipe method on the stream to load the metadata from file and then call the
real pipe once the ancillary data has been retrieved. My concern is whether I
would run the risk of losing the streamed image data while waiting for the
metadata to load.

Would it be advisable to keep a buffer of incoming stream data while waiting
for the metadata and then emit from the buffer or would it be as simple as
pausing and resuming the incoming pipe? At the moment, I´m storing JSON in flat
files but I´ve just been refactoring so that I could plug it in to redis or
memcached or whatnot.

As soon as I get to my desk, I will push my current code up to github in case
it´s necessary but any advice would definitely be welcomed. Alternatively, if
I´m taking the wrong route in solving this problem, any criticism and
redirection would be well received.

Thanks,
connrs.