Personally I did not want to write a buffering system for in memory _read
and just used a PassThrough stream for node-tart's substream parts
: https://github.com/bmeck/node-tart/blob/master/lib/substream.js . I'm
trying as well to find a sane way to allow internal buffering from a
different stream but have not thought of an elegant solution.