If you don't want to compile then you can use the
binary<http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29995>Microsoft
created:

* warning this only works with the x86 version of node and not the 64bit.

You will still need to install MSSQL native
client<http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29065>

For Linux its a bit tricker. The best luck is using freetds.org. I used
node-odbc <https://github.com/w1nk/node-odbc>. I swear you have to cross
your eyes to get your odbc drivers and connection strings working just
right. There are a lot of debugging tools to make the process easier. Make
these your friend.

I am really hoping Microsoft offers better support for MSSQL soon. I'm in a
situation where I have to use it (no complaints its a great db) but windows
is still very alien and painful for me.