I came up with same idea 25 years ago while writing simulations in queuing
theory. There was a language back then called Ratfor (Rational Fortran) - I
used it on Russian "version" of PDP-11.

I started learning javascript 2 years ago, and was surprised that this
simple idea is not in mainstream.

Recently I learned that the concept of "circuit" as acyclic graph of gates
is one of the well-known ideas in complexity theory (the one that deals
with P vs NP and other esoteric stuff).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_complexity

Anyway, it's an old concept, I think every one will sooner or later come up
with same idea given same problem.

And it's really good for simulations in queuing theory! :)