Not really relevant, but this reminded me of Mads Ager's talk [1], from
the V8 team, when V8 was a new thing. He talks about how they started
with pcre internally, but then decided to write their own regex engine.
Anyway, I found it interesting, you might wanna check it out.

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrufJFBSoQY#at=35m50s