I'm not sure how this could work.  When switching modules, your app will
mostly link to the old module. I don't see how the app could switch to the
new module without restart.

Example:

mod = require './mod'
mod.foo bar

How would the mod variable get the new module?

 Also, you would have to be lucky to have your old module and new module be
compatible.