On Feb 14, 2013, at 8:48 AM, kanitkar.abhis...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask following questions to people who are expert & have used
> NodeJS for Production ready application.
>
> 1) Why should I choose NodeJS for a large scale app which deals with data
> related to Stock Market ?

It certainly depends on what you're doing with that data.  Can you elaborate on
the I/O and CPU requirements?  If your app needs to spend lots of time on
computation, there are different strategies to gain performance.  In general,
Node.js apps tend to have higher I/O requirements than CPU.

> 2) Will the "Frequent Updates" way of fixing bugs and adding new
> functionality stop in near future & be replaced instead with a stable release
> ?

I don't know how near it is, but that is the plan for the future, as I
understand it.  Post-1.0, updates will likely come less frequently.  Check the
API docs.  Those APIs marked "Stable" will not change.

> 3) How can I deploy my NodeJS project for Production use ? Do I have to host
> .js files on server ?

Node doesn't specify a preferred way of deployment.  Deploy code however you
deploy code.  To spin up a server, you can `node server.js` or use any number
of utilities for starting/stopping/restarting processes.

> 4) What is good learning material for NodeJS ?

http://nodejs.org/api/ - The API is the go-to when you need to understand what
the core library does.
http://howtonode.org/ - Blog posts regarding various ways to use Node.js.
http://www.nodebeginner.org/ - I haven't actually read this, but I've seen it
mentioned before as a good starting point.

> 5) Are there any full proof benchmark tests done that can demonstrate
> NodeJS's claims to be faster ? which can be shown to management of a company
> for approval ?

I'd recommend doing your own benchmarks based on your own particular needs.
Publicly-posted benchmarks can be very misleading and sometimes magically
reflect an outcome that benefits the person posting the results.  If you run
into issues benchmarking Node, this list is a good place to ask questions.

Good luck!

Regards,

Kevin Swiber
@kevinswiber