So I did something like this (pseudocode), works pretty well. I am
currently using it to transparently cache requests. This would be *so* much
easier if google groups supported markdown like github.

// config includes what to call next in the chain, ttl for my cache, and a
secret key to flush the cache remotely, etc. In one instance, I have a list
of regex for which to invoke on the URL
module.exports = function(config) {
  return function(req,res,next) {
    wrapResponse(res);
    // do the next thing
  };
};

wrapResponse looks like:

wrapResponse = function(res) {
  write = res.write, writeHead = res.writeHead, setHeader = res.setHeader,
removeHeader = res.removeHeader, end = res.end;
  res.write = function(chunk,encoding) {
    // do what you want with it, like caching
    write.apply(this,arguments);
  };
};

The above is generic, but I turned it into a nice performant in-memory
caching module to wrap node-http-proxy. Variable ttl, and external
flushable.