Hi Jeremy,

A number of small reasons why I would use windows-service instead (some
people may consider some of these points moot, I don't):

   - Node.js and program path detection is automatic and obvious
   - Supports spaces in service names (although this could be fixed quite
   easily in WinSer)
   - Doesn't depend on npm to add, remove and run services
   - Doesn't depend on nssm.exe which means one less task of trying to keep
   that up to date (not assuming the module author will always want to update
   nssm.exe to the latest version when available)
      - Which also may have library dependency issues - unless you compile
      it yourself

Then there a couple of major reasons, which are probably more in-line with
my requirements.

I've already written something similar for Perl, for the company I work
for, but have never been allowed to make that code public.

I'm just getting into Node.js with the view of writing an application
delivered using a Windows installer (NSIS based) as the end systems will
have no build environment available.

So, in part this was a learning exercise to see if it was possible, and to
remove dependency on npm for a deployed application.

It's also worth considering that the service code base is much smaller than
the nssm.exe code base, and this is not a criticism of nssm.exe (quite
the opposite, it seems like a very good program), the point is that there
is less to go wrong and maintain.

Steve