I'm probably stating the obvious here, but if what you need is really just
proxying and routing, are you sure a vanilla HTTP proxy/load-balancer such
as NginX wouldn't do the job?

Writing an http proxy using Node *is* a trivial exercise - took me about an
hour the last time I needed to.  But if the only argument for using Node is
doing clever caching, you might be better off tweaking the back-end apps to
write good cache headers, so that any generic HTTP cache can be inserted
into the stack and the Right Thing will happen.  Which also means the back
end apps are responsible for defining their own caching policy, which means
an update to a back-end app never means a fire-drill for whoever owns the
caching layer.  Plus you get to leverage browser-based caching for free.

Or write your Node app to just *add* appropriate headers and still do your
actual caching of bytes outside of application-land - that still buys you a
lot more flexibility.  I have a few opinions on this topic -
http://timboudreau.com/blog/Caching_Revisited

- Tim