I have this error reproducible very stable using node v0.8.21

And I think I have nailed the issue: it happens if the maxSockets of the
agent is lower than the amount of requests we are doing.

If I set https.globalAgent.maxSockets = 50; and do 50 parallel requests -
after some seconds the error will be there.

If I do 40 parallel requests - I am able to download thousands of files
from S3.

Possible solutions:

1. I think first of all it is a documentation issue on node as well as
knox. Both of them should mention, that the default Agent has maxSockets ==
5. Node should mention this not only in place where maxSocket option is
described but also in 3-4 other places where the users read how to create
requests.

2. Knox could set for its engine the maxSockets value to something much
more higher than 5, f.e. 500, because knox will be often used with multiple
connections per host. Also knox could expose and document maxSockets option
which is then forwarded to the Agent.