Ok, that makes sense.

So the readable event is more of an advisory event. The docs should
probably say something about how you could possibly miss the event entirely
if you're doing some other IO before you try and read from the stream.

For posterity's sake, I adjusted my previous example:

    var http = require('http');

    http.get('http://www.google.com', function (response) {
      console.log('got response with status ' + response.statusCode);

      setTimeout(function () {
        bufferStream(response, function (err, buffer) {
          console.log(buffer.toString());
        });
      }, 1000);
    });

    function bufferStream(stream, callback) {
      var chunks = [];

      var chunk = stream.read();
      if (chunk) {
        chunks.push(chunk);
      }

      stream.on('readable', function () {
        chunks.push(stream.read());
      });

      stream.on('error', function (error) {
        callback(error);
      });

      stream.on('end', function () {
        callback(null, Buffer.concat(chunks));
      });
    }

You can use the bufferStream function to catch all data on the stream, no
matter how far in the future you are.

--
Michael Jackson
@mjackson