Actually, that is not true. There are several MIT licenses, so unless the
actual license text is included, it is ambiguous what the license is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License#Various_versions

Having a LICENSE file in the package makes it clear what the license is, or
alternatively stating the full license in the README.md

-- Dick