Another implementation will go terribly slow.

V8 is a browser thingy, and I'm sure it is as fast as it could possibly be, because every millisecond counts there.

So there is nothing wrong with V8. But there could be something wrong with node.js itself. Think about hundreds of .js files it needs to read on startup... "npm" itself do 964 system calls to various */node_modules/*.js files when it's starting (use strace to check that).

--
// alex