I'm david, maintainer of the CSV module (https://github.com/wdavidw/node-csv-parser).

I'm thinking to migrate the CSV parser from the old style api to the new one. It also seems like a good idea to ask around what would be the best practice in such case. An issue is created on GitHub: https://github.com/wdavidw/node-csv-parser/issues/107. I introduce this issue with:

It is time to migrate the CSV parser into the new [Stream API](http://www.nodejs.org/api/stream.html). This issue is created to all user of the parser. Please comment it with your own API suggestions, feature list and implementation details. Write down all your wish list. If API should evolve/break, this is the good time to do it.

I have a few questions relative to the implementation that I wish to ask here.

1. Which API seems the best to the users. I'm thinking about 3 main classes:
- a Parser class which take strings/buffers and output an arrays/objects of fields - a Stringifier class which take arrays/objects and output arrays/objects of fields - a Transform class which is both a Parser and a Stringifier and is used to transform a CSV stream into another CSV stream
Any suggestion is welcome

2. Considering the API described above, my understanding is that both the Parser and Stringifier should be duplex or transform instances. However, the API should differ slightly in the sense that the read function of the Parser class should return an array or an object and the write function of the Stringifier class should accept an array or an object. Is this correct and acceptable ?

3. Is someone familiar with the new Stream api willing to behave as a mentor to follow me and make sure I got this right during the development phase?

Thanks in advance for the community feedback,
d.

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "nodejs" group.