On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Alexey Petrushin <
alexey.petrus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's nice, thanks for your work Tim.
>
> You mentioned custom back-ends in documentation, is it possible to create
> a back-end that will use AWS S3 or something similar as a storage? Maybe
> with a subset of git functionality?

Yes.  And in fact, I'm working on the code that accepts these custom
backends as we speak.  My goal is to get it done before I leave for my trip
next week so you and others can play with it and implement more custom
backends.

For bare-repos (no staging area) all that's needed is basically a key/value
system.  For full repos a fs-style interface is needed as well.  The two
interfaces are already documented at:

 - https://github.com/creationix/js-git/blob/master/specs/fs.md
 - https://github.com/creationix/js-git/blob/master/specs/git-db.md

I just finished a node implementation of the fs backend earlier today and
I'll make an abstract implementation of the db backend that piggybacks on
top of the fs interface (combined they will work like real git with the
.git folder)